ANY way to install an amplifier in an Ioniq Hybrid?

ckwasi92

Reactions
What I Drive
2017 Ioniq Hybrid
Well, I am very sad and disappointed to find out that due to the 12v battery being a lithium battery integrated with the hybrid battery system, with no terminals, that I quite likely cannot install an amp and sub. My audio guy says that it is theoretically possible to wire a low power amp to the ignition wire which is rated for 60A, but he doesn't want to be the first one to try it. Any ideas as to how one would be able to set up an amplifier in this damn new and unique car? I'm pretty angry at myself for not being aware of the limitations of this before my purchase. I need my bass. Thank you!

IoniqMike

Reactions
I asked the same question with my sales guy who subsequently asked a tech and they told me the same thing. Since the Ioniq lacks the 12v battery this makes it impossible as the car mainly runs off the 240-volt.

I don't have the Infinity sound system in mine but I've ready that it sounds pretty good.

Well, I am very sad and disappointed to find out that due to the 12v battery being a lithium battery integrated with the hybrid battery system, with no terminals, that I quite likely cannot install an amp and sub. My audio guy says that it is theoretically possible to wire a low power amp to the ignition wire which is rated for 60A, but he doesn't want to be the first one to try it. Any ideas as to how one would be able to set up an amplifier in this damn new and unique car? I'm pretty angry at myself for not being aware of the limitations of this before my purchase. I need my bass. Thank you!

OP
C

ckwasi92

Reactions
What I Drive
2017 Ioniq Hybrid
Thread Starter #3
I am excited about a possible solution...

Something like this for an amp, which seems to only need 15A if I understand correctly and can run off the head unit's power:

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-445U-4-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003VVYL46#nav-search-keywords

With two channels powering my NVX 6.5 component speakers in the front, 45W RMS each, and two channels bridged to give 90W RMS to something like this:

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007WW4XW/r...oka+bt1014&dpPl=1&dpID=418+oblkGlL&ref=plSrch

I have an LC2i LOC for the sub.

It won't rattle the neighbors' windows, but it might be better than nothing. I'm not very knowledgeable about car audio, but maybe this could work? I'll run it by my audio guys tomorrow.

IoniqMike

Reactions
Let me know if that works, I was thinking of tapping into the existing fuse box as well, just wasn't sure if they wires are able to handle the power required by the amp without getting too hot.

OP
C

ckwasi92

Reactions
What I Drive
2017 Ioniq Hybrid
Thread Starter #5
Let me know if that works, I was thinking of tapping into the existing fuse box as well, just wasn't sure if they wires are able to handle the power required by the amp without getting too hot.
I'm almost wondering if sacrificing one of the "cigarette lighter" plugs is feasible for this little amp. The amplifier is 12V, 180W RMS. The plugs are labeled "12V 180W"...

IoniqMike

Reactions
I'm almost wondering if sacrificing one of the "cigarette lighter" plugs is feasible for this little amp. The amplifier is 12V, 180W RMS. The plugs are labeled "12V 180W"...
The wires on the 12v adapter would probably overheat from the power draw in the amp.

gorj

Reactions
I know this an ancient post but just in case anyone is actually reading this forum I want to clarify something. The 180 watt RMS mentioned has nothing to do with the electrical requirements of the amp. The RMS is the amount of power going to the speakers. A 12V cigarette lighter circuit would most definitely be enough power for the size amp quoted. One would want to put an in-line fuse for the amp.