MotorWeek Intern's Take on the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid

Reactions

The time was around 12:30 in the afternoon. I stood in front of a pure white shape that was the Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid. Its appearance was something foreign and completely different to my car, a 2000 Acura. This would be my first time driving a hybrid, so I was keen to observe the differences between the Ioniq and a traditional car. The only obvious ones were the battery charge, the Eco/Charge indicator and the silent startup. Besides that, an unsuspecting driver might not notice the switch between its two powertrains. Once in motion, the Ioniq was quite docile. Very little effort is required to get it moving. Such little motion that it is almost disconcerting. Moreover, the steering is exceptionally light.

It was the first of August and a bright sky with few clouds made for a lovely summer?s day. I borrowed an auxiliary cord from my car (I?m glad they still put AUX outlets in most modern cars) and set off for the backroads of the area. The drive was smooth sailing thanks to the Ioniq?s supple ride. I couldn?t imagine being this comfortable in an Elantra ten years ago. Driving at a relaxed pace on two-lane roads in this dedicated hybrid eased the worry of daily life, at least for 45 minutes. There are very few issues to complain about. The car is a lovely cruiser, though if you want a more involving experience and are willing to sacrifice the fuel economy, a Civic may give more feedback. Overall, the Ioniq does what you ask it to, nothing more and nothing less. For most of us, that?s all we need.

Text Source: Motor Week